PDA

View Full Version : 035Ti REPAIR

Blaster
04-01-2006, 08:55 AM
Today I pulled apart an 035Ti I purchased to repair a broken input lead. When I inspected the inside of the dome I found the foam from the pole piece or phase plug was stuck to the dome and coil. I'm not sure what to call the center of the magnet structure in this case. I cleaned this all up, removed the remaining loose foam and finished the repair.

This gave me an idea about the tweeter this was replacing. It had low output. I pulled it apart and the foam was the cause of the low output. I cleaned and reassembled it and it was again in good woking condition with normal output.

This left me with questions

Do repair kits come with new foam discs?

Should the foam be removed completely?

I have only removed the offending foam and left what was attached as I assume it is for damping?

Earl K
04-01-2006, 09:51 AM
I have only removed the offending foam and left what was attached as I assume it is for damping?

- I'd say you did the correct thing by leaving in some of the old foam . I might of removed all the old foam and installed new foam pads / ( if I had any ) .

- I really doubt it .
- IME, titanium domes/diaphragms of all sorts, benefit from acoustic/mechanical dampening. So, if JBL put it in there / I would never remove it & assume things should work better .

2 ¢ day , up here in the north :)

edgewound
04-01-2006, 01:12 PM
This left me with questions

Do repair kits come with new foam discs?

Yes, the repair kits do come with new foam pads...and as Earl stated, the foam should be left in place to dampen any spurious noises.

Blaster
04-01-2006, 02:52 PM
THANKS for the input.

Can the foam pads be purchased anywhere?

This makes me wonder how many tweeters are out there with the same issues. I have 5 more sets of 035's alone that are getting dated. I would have to assume there are many more with the same issues in use right now.

Is this a common issue due to age on many different tweeters?

I have had few apart to know if this is a common problem or if they even use foam behind all the domes.

The cure is simple enough it just takes a little time, MEK and a steady hand.