PDA

View Full Version : DIY amps.Pre and power,and things like that.

northwood
03-31-2006, 11:21 AM
:)
Can I talk about that here?

boputnam
03-31-2006, 11:49 AM
Perfect! :yes:

northwood
03-31-2006, 12:10 PM
Perfect! :yes:
Thank you boss:D

northwood
03-31-2006, 12:41 PM
To us JBL fans,a best choice of engine to drive JBL is tube amp,otherwise, another choice is Pass I think,pure a class,powerful energy and
opened circuit diagram,even the support from passdiy.com.Stupid northwood has been planning his pass for couples of years.To tell the truth,I never thought that would be so hard for me to do it,many things happened to me in these years,procedure was interrupted once and again.
I had to adopt unconventional method to carry it out. That is to do a little part of it once I have time and opportunity.
My target is a pre-amp and a power-amp.
Pass aleph P 1.7 and aleph 1.2.

hapy._.face
03-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Northwood- excellent choice! You have very good taste! Let me get this started for you:

Calling Ian!!!!

(Ian is our resident Pass expert)

Are those beautiful schematics, or what!? Everything is so neat and thought out. Talk about your audio OCD!

Ian Mackenzie
03-31-2006, 02:07 PM
This is no boss here and I am no expert.

Mod..move it to diy.

Tell us the big picture?

What speakers are you going to run?

The other thing is the power bill. Expensive to have left on all the time.

Certainly it will be fun to make and will sound very excellent.

northwood
03-31-2006, 02:38 PM
This is no boss here and I am no expert.

Mod..move it to diy.

Tell us the big picture?

What speakers are you going to run?

The other thing is the power bill. Expensive to have left on all the time.

Certainly it will be fun to make and will sound very excellent.

I wanted to publish the thread in DIY,but I'm oversensitive a little bit now,I considered,Lansing Related Gear is further than Lansing Product DIY.
I'll upload more pics tomorrow,the pre-amp has been finished,power-amp is on the way.
I'm using 4425 now,I will change it to 4333 or 4343 or 4344:blink: this year,looking for them,prices here are much higher than American market.
I'm imagining that the bills come down from sky like snowflakes;),suddenly telephone rings ,I take up the receiver,the bank manager shout at me "Northfuckingwood, u r bankrupt........."

northwood
03-31-2006, 03:28 PM
But I've given it up and redesigned a new pair of them like original look of aleph 1.2.
It took me one whole month to make it all by hands,that teared me down at last.I sweared that I would never do something like this for ever.

Ian Mackenzie
03-31-2006, 03:39 PM
Well that is a nice 4425.

Look forward to more diy pictures.

regards

Ian

Ian Mackenzie
03-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Forbidden Planet Anyone!

Very nice work.

I agree 90 % of the work is in making the case

Here is my Aleph 2. I never got around to polishing it.

I thought about making a traditional Aleph case but how do you pick it up without burning your fingers?

Ian Mackenzie
03-31-2006, 04:03 PM
Northwood,

How do you cut and finish the aluminum panels?

The reason I ask is that my shop sells the panels cut to size but they are never dead square and I spent hours filing then true.

My next challenge with be to build a router table with a jig to finshing the panels. I will share the design when I am finished and it will make building cases much better and quicker!

You can get an excellent finished edge with an aluminium router bit.

boputnam
03-31-2006, 05:08 PM
Mod..move it to diy.Getting right on it...

boputnam
03-31-2006, 05:11 PM
I'm using 4425 now,I will change it to 4333 or 4343 or 4344:blink: this year,looking for them,prices here are much higher than American market.Nice! Show us what else is in that little shop - there are some great looking cabinets in the background - many of which we cannot get over here. :(

northwood
03-31-2006, 05:30 PM
Nice! Show us what else is in that little shop - there are some great looking cabinets in the background - many of which we cannot get over here. :(
Sigh!!!!!
I hate that I'm not in America when I play JBL,just that moment ,because I love JBL that much,but I must stay here and do what I have to do.
JBL products in America are more cheaper and you have so many choices,once I tell you the prices here you would have no any interest in it.
Thanks for you move this thread to DIY,thank you.:)

northwood
03-31-2006, 05:32 PM
Northwood- excellent choice! You have very good taste! Let me get this started for you:

Calling Ian!!!!

(Ian is our resident Pass expert)

Are those beautiful schematics, or what!? Everything is so neat and thought out. Talk about your audio OCD!
Once I got enough money I would not diy,LOL,just kidding,DIY is another kind of fun.
:D

rek50
03-31-2006, 05:33 PM
Nice work Northwood and Ian. Handwork has it's rewards, even if it isn't a "Fast" process. The "Kick" for me is to maintain precision BY hand. To that end, I have used laminate flooring "Planks" for templates when straight, "Square" exact edges are needed. The planks measure up true and square using a machinist square. I've clamped a plank (or several) on the panel (wood or metal) to be "Trued Up". A three-flute, flush-trim, router bit, with a CLEAN free spinning bearing, follows the true edge of the laminate "Template".

yggdrasil
03-31-2006, 05:33 PM
I cut the aluminium on the table saw. Have to prepare the blade with wax, and rub some wax where you will cut. Cut slowly.. I used a candle.

Beware of hot aluminium.

This case was cut on the table saw. Front panel 10mm thick, bottom panel 6mm thick, rear panel 5mm thick.

northwood
03-31-2006, 05:34 PM
Forbidden Planet Anyone!

Very nice work.

I agree 90 % of the work is in making the case

Here is my Aleph 2. I never got around to polishing it.

I thought about making a traditional Aleph case but how do you pick it up without burning your fingers?
Your A2 looks familiar to me,I must've seen them in PassDiy or DIYaudio before,you are my "grand old man" which does not mean you are aged:D .
PS:I love your A2,looks perfect,you need not to polish it,PASSDIY is a special taste like what HappyFace said.
The JBL behind A2 looks good too,please tell me more about it.

northwood
03-31-2006, 05:43 PM
Nice work Northwood and Ian. Handwork has it's rewards, even if it isn't a "Fast" process. The "Kick" for me is to maintain precision BY hand. To that end, I have used laminate flooring "Planks" for templates when straight, "Square" exact edges are needed. The planks measure up true and square using a machinist square. I've clamped a plank (or several) on the panel (wood or metal) to be "Trued Up". A three-flute, flush-trim, router bit, with a CLEAN free spinning bearing, follows the true edge of the laminate "Template".
Thanks for your advice,REK50.:D

northwood
03-31-2006, 05:45 PM
I cut the aluminium on the table saw. Have to prepare the blade with wax, and rub some wax where you will cut. Cut slowly.. I used a candle.

Beware of hot aluminium.

This case was cut on the table saw. Front panel 10mm thick, bottom panel 6mm thick, rear panel 5mm thick.
Very standard design and work.
I like it:D

northwood
03-31-2006, 05:57 PM
Northwood,

How do you cut and finish the aluminum panels?

The reason I ask is that my shop sells the panels cut to size but they are never dead square and I spent hours filing then true.

My next challenge with be to build a router table with a jig to finshing the panels. I will share the design when I am finished and it will make building cases much better and quicker!

You can get an excellent finished edge with an aluminium router bit.
When I bought the aluminum board I asked the factory to cut the size I request.
But they drove me crazy,because they have no proper saw,they just incise the aluminum half depth then broke up the boards by hands,I found that when they posted the boards to my family,what made me more nuts is that no packaging for the board,the surface became like shit.
I had to file every edge of the six aluminum boards,4 times 6,almost 10 m for me to file all by hands with steel filing board,of coz I had to polish the surface of them:baby: at last.
From then on,except very small works,I use machine tool to do the job.

northwood
03-31-2006, 06:09 PM
Time here is 9:00 AM.got to do something else,I'll be keeping watching here and uploading more pics,thank you guys.
Have a nice weekend

Ian Mackenzie
03-31-2006, 06:11 PM
Your A2 looks familiar to me,I must've seen them in PassDiy or DIYaudio before,you are my "grand old man" which does not mean you are aged:D .
PS:I love your A2,looks perfect,you need not to polish it,PASSDIY is a special taste like what HappyFace said.
The JBL behind A2 looks good too,please tell me more about it.

Yes it has been posted on the diy forums and Pass Gallery, they were all the rage a few year ago.

That speaker is now old project and many updates since to JBL 4345 super*.

I get bored after a while and make other stuff.

The last pic is the real deal. See the real stuff in the flesh gives me goose bumps!

Bye for now, have F1 race here.

*Special treatment

northwood
03-31-2006, 06:16 PM
Jesus!
Typical American diy style.
Amazing works.
I'll learn more from you from now on.:D

doodlebug
03-31-2006, 10:17 PM
This is a cool discusison thread. I've built one of the Pass Pearl phono preamps and find it quite nice. I'm still playing around with tube gear these day but may someday build up a Pass amp - someday.

What caught my eye in this thread, though, was the 4425 pic. Specifically, what looks like a set of UREI monitors in the background.

What store was that in? They sell candy, right?

Cheers,

David

northwood
04-01-2006, 12:06 PM
VOL
It took me 6 hrs to make it.Does it look nice?^___^
It has great effection to the quality of sound.

northwood
04-01-2006, 12:16 PM
inside

northwood
04-01-2006, 12:29 PM

northwood
04-01-2006, 12:56 PM
just photoshopped a logo on the pic,not real on case's face:)

northwood
04-01-2006, 02:58 PM
As what I said in this thread,I abandoned the case that took me one month to make.
This is a model Taiwan made.
Looks very cool,huh?
Whole set costs 2000USD.
Too expensive!
Two channels in one case,though 100kg per,I dun think it's good for a "cooker" like "A class aleph 1.2".
mono would be perfect.

Ian Mackenzie
04-01-2006, 03:17 PM
Very nice work!

Okay if you already place order but consider Conrad Engineering for heatsinks. I think even with shipping it would be less costly

http://www.conradheatsinks.com/welcome.htm

Just bolt four of MF35-151.5 with 60mm L section (tapped) to make a square box and then attach 12mm square rod around the top and botton edges and made a lid and base plate and you have an Aleph 1.2!.

Fit all the connectors on the L corner section and your done.

northwood
04-01-2006, 04:16 PM
Very nice work!

Okay if you already place order but consider Conrad Engineering for heatsinks. I think even with shipping it would be less costly

http://www.conradheatsinks.com/welcome.htm

Just bolt four of MF35-151.5 with 60mm L section (tapped) to make a square box and then attach 12mm square rod around the top and botton edges and made a lid and base plate and you have an Aleph 1.2!.

Fit all the connectors on the L corner section and your done.
Thank you Ian,I'll show you what I've done later,thanks for your help,studying what you told me.
I've made a pair of aluminum cases for aleph1.2,every one 30kg,each of them for one channal,heatsings are good,made them in a factory the year before last.
The only thing I dun have now is the monster transformers for them,you know the quality of transformer is too important,I'll finish them as soon as possible.
I bought a great lot MOSFET from DIGIKEY.COM last year,it would take me almost 24 man-hours to match them@________@
Capacitances from Canada,Jesus!!!!!and many parts used for them.

Ian Mackenzie
04-01-2006, 08:34 PM
Dumb question.

But what do you do for a day job?

I just wonder where you find the time!

Ian

loach71
04-01-2006, 10:51 PM

Beware of hot aluminium.

I use a router with a carbide bit, face shield, safety goggles, ear plugs and leather welders goggles. I lube the bit liberally with DO-ALL TOOL-SAVR. The cuts are almost as good as with a vertical milling machine.

DO-ALL TOOL-SAVR is a greenish waxy compund that is supplied in a stick form that is about the size of a tube of caulk. I recommend it highly - it really works.:)

northwood
06-13-2006, 11:43 PM
Dumb question.

But what do you do for a day job?

I just wonder where you find the time!

Ian
Sorry my brother Ian I left for a while.
I have 3 day jobs so I have to diy the the stuff at night.:D

northwood
06-17-2006, 04:16 PM

Ian Mackenzie
06-17-2006, 07:35 PM
I thought hte first pic was freight container!!

The other one looks like a Halcro.;)

Nice work...I am too ashamed to post anything now.

I like to Giskard rug. Where did you get it??

Ian

northwood
06-18-2006, 12:15 AM
I thought hte first pic was freight container!!

The other one looks like a Halcro.;)

Nice work...I am too ashamed to post anything now.

I like to Giskard rug. Where did you get it??

Ian
Don't say that my brother, you are the real Pass master,I'm only a little idiot.
You mean the carpet?My friend bought it long time ago:)