PDA

View Full Version : Altecs' Lifetime Warranty ???

Earl K
10-25-2003, 04:28 AM
Hi All

Anyone out there , ever own/recone any of the speakers that Altec covered under their mid-seventies "Lifetime" warranty ?

Also, does anyone know when this warranty was retired ?

A reference to this warranty can be seen in the 1975Altec M.I. catalog (http://www.lansingheritage.org/html/altec/catalogs/1975-mi.htm) on page 4 (http://www.lansingheritage.org/images/altec/catalogs/1975-mi/page04.jpg) .

Interesting info on this page highlights the use of a lightweight "aluminum" former for the voice coil and "special" coil wire ( perhaps copper clad aluminum ) - all for high effiency with more power handling .

Check out the stats for the 421-8H II woofer.

regards <. Earl K :)

scott fitlin
10-25-2003, 09:15 AM
I own Altec 421-8LF circa 1976-1978. They were so efficient and had amazing transient snap!

About that " Lifetime Warranty " I remember my Father did get some free recones because we were such a big Altec system, but it didnt last forever! I am sure about that! :D

Alex Lancaster
10-25-2003, 11:10 AM
I heard yesterday, from someone who should know, that ALTEC is planning a comeback, anybody heard about this?

Alex.

Rex Mills
10-25-2003, 06:20 PM
Earl
About 12 years ago, I took advantage of Altecs Lifetime Warranty and got a 421-8H reconed at Altecs Oklahoma plant, no questions asked. Cost me nothing but 1 way shipping. Those were the good old days. A regular on this forum now owns the Altec in fact.:)

scott fitlin
10-25-2003, 06:43 PM
Altec is planning to come back, and this has been going on for awhile now!

I hope they do come back with drivers and speakers that sound like Altec did in the past ( 70,s and 80,s ) because they were great for commercial sound and home listening!

We will see.

scott fitlin
10-25-2003, 06:48 PM
If yopu want to know more about Altec products coming back into the marketplace ask Todd White, Im sure he will be happy to talk to all who want to know!