PDA

View Full Version : LE5-9 Recone

zipplok
03-29-2006, 12:14 PM
Hi everyone. I own a pair of JBL LE5-9 midrange drivers that need to be reconed. However, I was told by JBL that the recone kits are no longer available. Does anyone know whether there are aftermarket kits available for these drivers or might a kit from another variation of this model work? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Zipplok

Audiobeer
03-29-2006, 12:33 PM
You might be better served in just waiting on a pair to show up on ebay. I have aquired a lot of pairs that way and at a minimal cost when compared to any recone kit w/labor even if available. If not abused a good set will stand up for years

zipplok
03-29-2006, 12:53 PM
You might be better served in just waiting on a pair to show up on ebay. I have aquired a lot of pairs that way and at a minimal cost when compared to any recone kit w/labor even if available. If not abused a good set will stand up for years Thanks Audiobeer!! I believe there are a pair on Ebay right now. Do you know whether having the magnets "recharged" on these would make an audible difference?

Earl K
03-29-2006, 01:13 PM
zipplok,

Please read Giskards' le5 Matrix thread . (http://audioheritage.csdco.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=88388)

- Take a look at the response plots, Giskards text , etc. You'll see that most of the odd numbered le5s can be interchanged with each other ( excluding the le5-3 ). The even numbered le5s' represent another "family" .

- You'll also see that most of the series ( including the le5-9 ) use Ferrite magnets which don't need to get recharged .

- Audiobeers' advice makes the most sense to me .

:)

GordonW
03-30-2006, 03:25 PM
With some of the LE5 variants, it's possible to do an acceptable recone with aftermarket parts, as the originals used round-wire coils. HOWEVER- the LE5-9 was one of the versions that used an EDGE WOUND voice coil... and AFAIK, there's no aftermarket equivalent.

If your reconed an LE5-9 with a round-wire coil aftermarket kit, you'd get something that'd act more like an LE5-8... about 1 dB less efficient, and slightly lower output in the upper registers (ie, the upper mids would be slightly less loud).

Regards,
Gordon.