PDA

View Full Version : External Crossover Recommendations needed

invstbiker
03-28-2006, 09:43 PM
Fellas, Gonna dip my big toe into the biamping arena when my 4343's pull up to the door. Behringer, Ashley, JBL, others? Looking for advice for my balanced system. Active vs passive? Lots of xover choices and trying to narrow the field. Any experienced biamper's please chime in. THX in advance...

pelly3s
03-28-2006, 10:28 PM
the simplest thing to go with would be the DBX Driverack PA in my opinion. Its easy to use and sounds good for the $500 price tag

invstbiker
03-28-2006, 10:32 PM
IS DBX the manufacturer?

Steve Gonzales
03-28-2006, 10:41 PM
Hey, try a JBL M552.

norealtalent
03-29-2006, 06:22 AM
I know nothing of the DBX mentioned but I'll strongly second the M552, that's what I use on my 43's. I would also encourage you to stay away from the old "carded" JBL's and the Urei 525 x's. I've had several of each version and none of them compare with the sound or versatility of the M552.:thmbsup: All IMO only, others may prefer bozak :dont-know

Mike Caldwell
03-29-2006, 07:24 AM
Hello
I'm not going to get into a digital VS analog crossover debate but the DBX unit can be found for even less than $500 with some shopping. If you do get a DBX Drive Rack PA model be careful of your powering up and down your system. The Drive Rack PA model puts out a very big audio spike especially on power down.
For some very good analog options take a look for TDM (24CX2), Ashly (1001), BSS (310),
These are some very good pro units all XLR balanced inputs and outputs.
Good used ones can be found on ebay. Look for the newer style of TDM, the older ones had 1/4 inch inputs.

For what it's worth I use many of the TDM's in my PA systems.

Do yourself a favor and stay away from the Behringer units.

Mike Caldwell

Don C
03-29-2006, 08:25 AM
I often see Crown FFX-2s on ebay, I've been thinking of getting one. Does anyone here have an opinion on these?

invstbiker
03-29-2006, 08:36 AM
Anybody have a used JBL 552 EX they want to part with? PM me if so. THX

boputnam
03-29-2006, 09:20 AM
Good ol' Mike Caldwell gave you all the recommendations you need. :thmbsup:

wpod
03-29-2006, 09:42 AM
You may also want to check out the Marchand crossovers, especially if you are into tubes and DIY. The different units are available in fully assembled or kit form , vacuum tube or transistor models. The top of the line tube unit is the XM126 and the solid state model is the XM44. These are four way units with many available options including fully balanced. Check it out.....http://www.marchandelec.com/ Good Luck, wpod

Ken Pachkowsky
03-29-2006, 11:38 AM
I have both a XR-1001 and XR-2001 I may part with. Both are like new. PM me if your interested.

Ken

Ken Pachkowsky
03-29-2006, 11:47 AM
You may also want to check out the Marchand crossovers wpod

These are a step above for sure. I have purchased 2 different models (2 and 3 way) off Ebay and although they sounded great were not condusive to being used in my system. I bought them to re-sell. The build quality is top notch. They have a new tube version that looks interesting.

Ken

Mike Caldwell
03-29-2006, 06:21 PM
Hello
The Crown FFX crossovers are only 18db slope and to change the frequencies you need to swap out resistors, that's not necessarily bad just makes it kinda hard to tweak the system. The Crown VFX crossovers are nice, still an 18 db slope unit but it is full variable and you can do overlapping crossover points if you want. In a very early PA system I had a pair of the Crown VFX units. For a short while Crown had a single rack space unit with a lot of usable features but I can't remember the model number. It had a black front panel like the later series of D series power amps.
EV / Tapco also had a wide range of crossovers, all from that era would be 18 db slope. 18 vs. 24 or higher slopes is not always a bad thing and would be actually what was available when the 4343's were designed. 24 Linkwitz Riley slopes do give better phase response and will offer better power handling to the driver and tweeters from having faster cut off rates below the crossover frequency.

Ken's Ashly 1001 would be a good choice, easy to use, 24db slope, fully balanced and the Ashly's have a unique feature they call the "response" control that allows you vary the filter type from Butterworth to Linkwitz Riley.

Mike Caldwell

Lutz
03-29-2006, 07:39 PM
Hi,

I use the Ashly XR 4001 and love it. Before the Ashly I had always used Rane. I like the Ashly much better. You can also find many Ashly's used on Ebay.

Good luck
David

pelly3s
03-29-2006, 09:36 PM
If you want to go digital another one I would suggest would be the BSS FDS-336T Minidrive with the update you can get a 54dB slope. Or spend more money than most do on speakers and get a BSS London system (I know a little over kill but hey why not if you have the money)

boputnam
03-29-2006, 09:49 PM
Ken's Ashly 1001 would be a good choice, easy to use, 24db slope, fully balanced and the Ashly's have a unique feature they call the "response" control that allows you vary the filter type from Butterworth to Linkwitz Riley.Yea. Not to overpromote, but I've been through a few, and the XR1001 is the best by-far.

I have used all the BSS line, like pelly3s is suggesting and they are indeed great. That model, the KT DN9848 (I own this one) and xta DP4-series are all excellent. But, my grab is they are all far in-excess of what you need and will make advantage of. I don't use any of these in my home system - only in the roadracks (an entirely different application benefitting from infinitely increased capability).

I talked to Ken today, and the reason his Ashly are available is not so much that he was displeased with them, but that the Westlake xovers he extensively refurbished are more appropriate for his "Westies". Just fyi...

Mike Caldwell
03-30-2006, 06:42 AM
Hello
I did not want to start to confuse the issues by introducing the high end DSP's like the XTA, Klark, and things like the BSS Omnidrive's Soundwebs ect. Primarily because of their generally $3500 and up price tags. the BSS 334 Minidrive's would a be a good choice for just about $1000, less with a little shopping around or a good used unit. Like Bo said a lot of what the higher end units can do would go unused in a home system.

Mike Caldwell

invstbiker
03-30-2006, 09:37 PM
I think Kens hookin' me up....:applaud:

boputnam
03-30-2006, 10:06 PM
"Yea, baby...!!"

Give us a report.

matsj
03-31-2006, 10:35 AM
Hello.

I use 3 Behringer dcx 2496 crossovers in my homecinema. For the money they are ok but a little bit noisy. I would like to have 3 Bss Fds-366t minidrive but i cannot afford them.

If someone want to sell some BSS cheap send a pm :) . I havent read so much about them, do they work on both 110v and 230 volt ?

regards mats