PDA

View Full Version : Tung oil

Alex Lancaster
10-24-2003, 07:21 PM
Hi.

What is "Tung oil", I see it mentioned to refinish cabinets?

Thanks.

Mr. Widget
10-24-2003, 07:43 PM
It is an oil that comes from the tung nut. It is used in furniture finishes to give the finish a hardened surface. Many of the better finishes will have tung oil blended with linseed oil or other oils and synthetic resins.

Check out this thread.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=352&highlight=tung+oil

Alex Lancaster
10-24-2003, 07:51 PM
Thanks!, IŽll look for it.

The first link You showed would have cured our "L100 for voice" maladies friend like right now!

Alex.

gyusher
11-06-2003, 03:38 AM
When I bought my first pair of JBL speakers in the late 70s the seller gave me a quart of a Lemonoil /Beeswax/Mineral Spirits mixture to rub on them once a year. . .I have done this faithfully ever since and my quart supply has no become about a half pint.
This stuff is the consistancy of vasoline and I spread it on liberally, let it sit overnight then buff it with a soft rag. The beeswax helps water proof it and we all know lemonoil. . .The Mineral spirits just help keep it in suspension. I use this to revive old receiver cabinets and on all wood veneer speaker cabinets. I have done a Google search and found stuff like this, seems this was a popular mixture a hundred years or more ago. . .I for one think you cant beat it. One day I will post a before and after pic.