PDA

View Full Version : Age-old question about recones?

ddeand
03-26-2006, 08:59 PM
I'm in the process of reconing an Altec 418b, but I'm not sure what type of glue to use to affix the surround/cone and the spider. From the reading I've done, people use everything from thick superglue to plain old Elmer's white glue. I have at my disposal all of those plus Titebond, epoxy, and Gorilla glue.

So, which should I use? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dean

GordonW
03-28-2006, 03:55 PM
For voice coil to spider and voice coil to cone, either epoxy or accelerated thick superglue. With the "modern" voice coil materials, IME, the superglue "wets" better, and gets a better bond. Just be sure, to not allow the superglue to run to unwanted areas... even the thick stuff will "migrate" if you pile it on...

For spider to basket, either accelerated superglue or something like a weatherstrip adhesive or rubber cement. Preferably, the superglue or weatherstrip adhesive.

For surround to basket and gasket to basket, weatherstrip adhesive or rubber cement.

Regards,
Gordon.

johnaec
03-28-2006, 04:07 PM
What do you use for dustdome to basket? Is that what the JBL "Moyen" glue is for? 'Including aluminum domes?

John

GordonW
03-30-2006, 11:59 AM
Depends on the dustcap. For a felt cap with a lip, to a paper cone, then PVA type glue (Elmers, etc) or accelerated superglue. For a paper cap with no lip, either the Moyen glue, or accelerated superglue. For aluminum caps, I prefer using the accelerated superglue, as it can be applied around the perimeter of the cap, after fitting the cap into place. Really reduces the chance of bending or denting the cap, trying to fit it into place with glue already on the cap...

Regards,
Gordon.