PDA

View Full Version : Way Down Deep!!!

oznob
03-26-2006, 11:46 AM
I have a CD from Jennifer Warnes that will really get the woofers moving! The CD is called "The Archer" and track #8 is called, Way Down Deep! It is self explanitory!:yes:

Steve Gonzales
03-27-2006, 11:56 PM
Natalie Cole's "A smile like yours" too :bouncy: .

Nightbrace
03-28-2006, 02:51 AM
I have a CD from Jennifer Warnes that will really get the woofers moving! The CD is called "The Archer" and track #8 is called, Way Down Deep! It is self explanitory!:yes:

Am at the right site? Could I have wandered into something thats supposed to be restricted for younglings like myself? :D

hjames
03-28-2006, 12:23 PM
I have a CD from Jennifer Warnes that will really get the woofers moving! The CD is called "The Hunter" and track #8 is called, Way Down Deep! It is self explanitory!:yes:
I've long been a fan of her "Famous Blue Raincoat' tribute to Leonard Cohen's songs ... from the intro with Stevie Ray Vaugn's guitar throughout ...
Your post reminded me to pull it out and give a listen on the new speakers - sparkling! Its a fine workout for JBLs!

And thanks to your tip, I've also ordered The Hunter from Amazon - its a nice change from the Prince abums recommended to me lately (Musicology & 3121) ...

Next in the stack will be Gogol Bordello - heard their stuff last night in the film Everything is Illuminated - crazy klezmer hiphop fun - whew!

JBL 4645
04-23-2006, 07:54 PM
TITANIC

Music by “James Horner” the low end on this finely produced album, and its richly detailed instrumental, is mixed with lots of slam depth a kick, the talented scoring mixer “Shawn Murphy” as done countless scoring mixes for decades now, and TITANIC is one of best still to this day.

Celine Dion “My Heart Will Go On” track 14 from the dts digital surround 5.1, sounds totally different from the down mixed stereo version, but that’s only noticeable with certain parts of the musical elements cross-talking.

Hear is totally isolated from artefacts and like I said the low end is, is a true “Shawn Murphy” mix!

The LFE.1, is played with lots of weight from the JBL 4645, and on track 7 “Hard to Starboard” this is used with such focused strength in all of the 5 channels, and with x5 JBL control 5’s placed around the room, for a 5.0 sound and the .1 adding the extra reinforcement.

oznob
04-23-2006, 08:06 PM

You know, after reading this thread again, I got the name of the CD wrong. It's called "The Hunter." Sorry about that, I think I'm getting old!
:banghead:

JBL 4645
04-23-2006, 08:23 PM
oznob

Then why didn’t you edit it?:bouncy:

oznob
04-23-2006, 08:30 PM
oznob

Then why didn?t you edit it?:bouncy:

I think the original post has been on too long to edit it? Either that or the loose nut behind my computer doesn't know how to do it?

JBL 4645
04-23-2006, 08:38 PM
oznob

Looks fine to me, just pop on up there and hit edit, and change the text to the way to was supposed to be.;)

hjames
04-24-2006, 05:49 AM
I think you can only edit a post within the first 24 hours, then its set.
I can't edit my older posts in this thread ...

JBL 4645
04-24-2006, 06:03 AM
hjames

Sorry mate, I thought you could get there to re-edit the page, so it’s 24hours?

This site must have a different software package running the show then.:)

Zilch
04-27-2006, 10:06 AM
Peter Gabriel's UP goes way down deep.

"Sky Blue," others.

[I don't understand the album, tho.... :blink: ]

Shane Shuster
04-28-2006, 10:53 PM
Amon Tobin's "Bricolage" is about the deepest cd I own. Careful with it on vintage systems or you will blow the woofer.

Titanium Dome
04-29-2006, 01:08 AM
Conjure One's Redemption will get your speakers working in the "Contra" octave (three octaves below middle C), or you'll just get harmonics. Ken P's Westlakes managed to get there, and my own 14" and 15" JBL drivers get to it, but the 12" drivers can only hint at what's really there.

For easy reference on the octaves, their notes, and their frequencies:

http://www.fsref.com/Fatal/FE170500.SHTML

Ducatista47
04-29-2006, 03:27 PM
The CD's (and vinyl) of Patricia Barber are full range, including the low end.
Since the group has standup bass, it is interesting to hear how the instrument records when it is not cut off at the knees.

Three I know well are Cafe Blue, Modern Cool and Verse. The first is well known for low end, but all of her cd output I have heard is similar in this respect. Ode To Billy Joe, The Thrill Is Gone and Nardis will open your ears, but any cut will do.

Clark

Audiobeer
05-05-2006, 12:04 PM

Your right! Good quality recording. Bought it mint on Amazon for $4 Really is good. Didn't know my 4313Bs could sound that good and the 4430s really shined!

oznob
05-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Your right! Good quality recording. Bought it mint on Amazon for $4 Really is good. Didn't know my 4313Bs could sound that good and the 4430s really shined!

Glad you enjoyed it beer! She is an artists who really cares how her music is recorded and takes an active role in the mixing process.

Ken Pachkowsky
05-05-2006, 03:24 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys, will check these out.

Ken

oznob
05-05-2006, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the heads up guys, will check these out.

Ken

Hey Ken,
The actual name of the CD is "The Hunter." I get confused on the title as on the cover, she is holding a bow.

Ken Pachkowsky
05-05-2006, 06:45 PM
Thanks Oznob

I want both "Famous Blue Raincoat" and "The Hunter"

Ken

jim campbell
05-21-2006, 06:19 PM
ken; if you can find a good vinyl copy of fragile,yes and try the fish or heart of the sunrise thru those beasts i think you would find the separation of the multiple basses or the incredible sound that squire gets from his ric to be amazing.another that shone was indicipline by king crimson from the dicipline album.the notes may not be the lowest frequencies out there but the sheer power of them is stunning.would be a great way to work in that new pre amp

hjames
05-21-2006, 06:40 PM
ken; if you can find a good vinyl copy of fragile,yes and try the fish or heart of the sunrise thru those beasts i think you would find the separation of the multiple basses or the incredible sound that squire gets from his ric to be amazing.another that shone was indicipline by king crimson from the dicipline album.the notes may not be the lowest frequencies out there but the sheer power of them is stunning.would be a great way to work in that new pre amp

Another good vinyl workout is genesis - Selling England by the Pound (from 1973 - before Gabriel left). Track 3 - Firth Of Fifth - after the vocal verses it goes to an instrumental and Tony Banks plays some massive keyboard bass (pedalboards, I believe). The original vinyl version came close to wiping out - unplayable with cheap cartridges. For the remastered CD they dropped the bass level and it took out the grandeur of the piece.

jim campbell
05-21-2006, 07:21 PM
hav'nt heard selling england since it was new but i do still have my vinyl genesis live and recently picked up peter gabriels secret world.i see that you have an interest in monk.did you grab the new monk coltrane session?this one will lead eventually to rudy van gelder.

Ken Pachkowsky
05-21-2006, 10:38 PM
Another good vinyl workout is genesis - Selling England by the Pound (from 1973 - before Gabriel left). Track 3 - Firth Of Fifth - after the vocal verses it goes to an instrumental and Tony Banks plays some massive keyboard bass (pedalboards, I believe). The original vinyl version came close to wiping out - unplayable with cheap cartridges. For the remastered CD they dropped the bass level and it took out the grandeur of the piece.

I was/am a huge Genesis fan and very familiar with that passage. Loved those low notes on my old 4350's. George Duke had an album called Liberated Fantasy that had a cut on it that was a building shaker but I can't remember the track name.

Ken

Steve Schell
06-09-2006, 05:07 PM
The CD "Are you Shpongled" by Shpongle contains a great deal of subterranean bass throughout. The first track "Shpongle Falls" sounds like some huge dinosaur is thrashing and stomping around in the jungle. This is a good disc to terrify visitors with using a wideband system. It falls into the genre of trance music I suppose, but it is not the boring, hypnotic Enya kind. Most of it is really quite exciting, with densely layered tracks filled with both real and synth sounds. It was their first album; there are more recent ones which I haven't heard.

http://www.google.com/musica?aid=tud3YRev4HB&sa=X&oi=music&ct=result

whizzer
06-14-2006, 07:17 AM
another that shone was indicipline by king crimson from the dicipline album.the notes may not be the lowest frequencies out there but the sheer power of them is stunning

Likewise--not the lowest notes but stunning power--check out the live version of "Man with an Open Heart" on "Absent Lovers." (Live in Montreal, 1984).

Andyoz
06-15-2006, 04:23 AM
Peter Gabriel's UP goes way down deep.

"Sky Blue," others.

[I don't understand the album, tho.... :blink: ]
Spot on that comment. All of PG's stuff since US has lots of really low-frequency stuff going on. Most system can't resolve it though. I know that his stuff is mixed in a MASSIVE control room (size of a church) so maybe they don't feel restricted by the room mode issues that normal sized mixing spaces have (i.e. boomy bass)?

p.s. I don't understand the album either.

jbl
06-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Get's my 2225H's going. That and Alicia Keys 'Songs In A Minor' ,track 10. Deep, solid and clear.

Ron:applaud:

coruphius
09-07-2007, 07:27 AM
Common guys, this ain't something to stop talking about! everyone loves to hear and feel that low rumble and sweet bass that makes your hairs stand on end!

Give some recomendations to other forum ppl!

I have a couple that i want to put down for those who want to check out!

and i will keep on listing for those who are interested!

Nine Inch Nails - And All that Could Have Been (DVD 5.1)

#9 - La Mer - Nice bass in this one at the begining, leading into a nice drum beat!

Sugar Ray - The Best of Sugar Ray

#13 - Is She Really Going Out With Him (cover) yes yes i know nothing can beat the original, but these guys actually did a decent version of it! very nice strong bass in the choruses.

hope no one minds me bringing this thread back, but i reckon it would be great (mind you, the subs im using are my 2225H's Tuned to 40hz at 120 litres, with an 80 watt amp, still shakes house without driving amp into distortion)

JBL 4645
09-07-2007, 12:49 PM
Well I have the dts music and demonstration disc that not only has test tones but as some really neat musical tracks from.

1# Seal “Prayer for the Dying”
2 # Andrew Litton conducting the Dallas Symphony Orchestra & Chorus excepts from Tchaiovsky “1812 Overture”
3 # Alan Parsons with Christopher “Cross So Far Away”
4 # Shoeless Joe “The Bet”

5 # And Telarc “A Touch of Surround Madness”

Most of the tracks are in full dts 5.1 some just don’t have the centre channel output, but track 5 is a raving mad track that starts of with a mid range accompanied at the same time with a deep shuddering LFE.1 that you think can’t possibly get any louder, it down somewhere between 20Hz when it starts off.

JSF13
09-09-2007, 06:57 PM
Track 6 "What a Difference a Day Makes" from Natalie Coles Stardust album.

Track 1 from Bill Frissel's Gone Just Like A Train album.

Thom
09-11-2007, 09:54 PM
I thought one reason musical instrument speakers didn't make good subwoofers was that stringed instruments just don't go that low. That's why people used to buy Virgil Fox, and other stuff they didn't really want to listen too, to exercise their gear. And the 1812 overture. I once had a neighbor who had me play that over and over till she got her china so they wouldn't rattle. It was in a three-plex.