THE HERITAGE & HISTORY OF
|1973||Billboard magazine announced that more Altec monitor
loudspeakers used in recording studios than all other brands combined. Altec
Lansing Sound Products Division formed. National sound engineering seminar
held. Altec Lansing International, Ltd., founded in England.
||1981||Introduced "black rack" electronic components. Sound system design seminars in U.S. and Canada. Introduced sound system design software and horn radiation studies. Fall New Products Clinics.|
|1974||Model 1220 control console revolutionized reinforcement mixing. National sound engineering seminar held. Theatrical and industrial service company sold.||1982||Built almost 4000 channels of power amplification for
Disney's Epcot Center. Sound system design seminars in United States,
Canada, and Switzerland. Introduced 8000 series direct radiator
loudspeakers, 1200 series power amplifiers, and MRII series Mantarays.
|1975||Facilities now exceeded 450,000 square feet, more than
1000 employees. 800 watt model 9440A amplifier introduced. Bookshelf
loudspeaker line introduced.
||1983||Closed Manchester Ave. plant in Anaheim and moved all production to former University Sound plant in Oklahoma. Moved offices and laboratories to Red Gum St. in Anaheim. Sound system design seminars in England, Fall New Products Clinics. Introduced A6 VOTT loudspeaker system and 1620A feedback suppresser. Entered Chapter 11 voluntary financial reorganization.|
|1976||Model 19 monitor loudspeaker received Design and
Engineering Excellence Award from EIA. Tangerine® phase plug introduced.
Industry's first automatic microphone mixing introduced. All products sales
conference held in England.
|1977||Model 15 received Design and Engineering Excellence Award from EIA. Altec Lansing of Canada. Ltd., founded in Toronto, with local warehouse to serve Canadian customers.||1984||XXIII Olympic winter games in Sarajevo used Altec
Lansing reinforcement products exclusively. Sound system design seminars in
Norway, Japan, and Australia. Closed Red Gum St. offices and moved all
operations to Oklahoma.
|1978||Introduced Mantaray® constant-directivity horns, and Incremental Power® amplification system. Sound system design seminar in England.||1985||Introduced 920 Duplex® loudspeaker. Altec Corporation
accepted purchase offer. On July 15, Altec Lansing Corporation formed as
subsidiary of Gulton Industries, Inc. Sound system design seminars in Japan.
|1979||Model 14 monitor loudspeaker received Design and
Engineering Excellence Award from EIA for Tangerine, Mantaray, and Automatic
||1986||Gulton Industries is purchased by Mark IV Industries, Inc. of Amhearst, NY.|
|1980||Introduced Voice of the Highway® auto stereo loudspeaker line. Model AL1 auto stereo system won Design and Engineering Excellence Award from EIA. Gave away BMW automobile in "Gee, I'm a great salesman" promotion. Spring New Products Clinics, sales conference held in England. LF1 and LF2 coffee table subwoofers won Audio Grand Prix award. Hi-fi dealer conferences held all across Canada to introduce models 4, 6 and 8 loudspeakers.||1987||Altec Lansing introduces the 1715C 150W mixer-amplifier, 299-8A and 299-16A high frequency compression drivers featuring Pascalite® aluminum alloy diaphragm material and 9872 package loudspeaker system. Altec Clinics are reintroduced with separate meetings held in Atlanta, Kansas City and San Francisco.|