THE HERITAGE & HISTORY OF
|Alexander Graham Bell demonstrated the telephone in Boston.||1931||
Western Electric built, and ERPI installed, the first
three-way wide-range loudspeakers in theaters, with four 18" cone
loudspeakers on 4' by 8' baffle, two 15' long, wooden, exponential horns
with 555W drivers, and 596 tweeter. ERPI held training classes for
projectionists in new talkie equipment.
|1889||Thomas Edison gave laboratory demonstrations of talking motion pictures, using a wax cylinder recorder synchronized to film.|
|1906||Lee de Forest demonstrated triode amplifying tube.
Western Electric introduced the Mirrophonic Sound System,
whose loudspeakers introduced multicellular horns to multi-way loudspeaker
|1913||Edison toured U.S. with Kinetophone talking picture apparatus.
|1924||Research group moved from Western Electric in Chicago to newly-formed Bell
Laboratories in Manhattan.
||1936||Western Electric divested ERPI division. Management formed "All Technical
Services" Company, Altec Service Company, to continue service contracts and
manufacture some theatre sound equipment. University Loudspeaker Company
founded in New York City.
|Western Electric manufactured compression drivers with aluminum diaphragms and edge-wound ribbon voice coils. Calvin Coolidge used first Western Electric public address system during outdoor address at Harvard University.||1941||Altec Service Company bought nearly bankrupt Lansing Manufacturing Company,
and formed Altec Lansing Corporation on May 1 at 6900 McKinley Ave. to
manufacture former Lansing products with 23 employees. First Altec power
amplifier, model 142B.
|1926||Warner Brothers Studios licensed Bell Labs talking picture system under "Vitaphone" trademark.||1942||Model 87E high-power amplifier produced; anti-submarine detection equipment produced for U.S. Navy.|
The Jazz Singer opened in New York on October 6. Western Electric amplifiers
included the 8B, 9A, and 10A, powered by multiple wet storage batteries.
||1943||Introduced first field coil Duplex® 15"
loudspeaker, model 601. Built anti-aircraft gunnery trainer for U.S. Navy.
Altec occupied offices in the Taft Building in Hollywood.
|1928||Western Electric formed Electric Research Products, Inc., ERPI, to manufacture, install, and service talking picture systems in studios and theatres. New amplifiers could be powered from AC line, including models 41A, 42A (3 watts), and 43A (15 watts).||1944||
Model 604 Duplex® 15" permanent magnet loudspeaker produced. Offices
established at Hollywood and Vine.
|1945||Built first home loudspeakers, amplifiers, and television receivers. Voice of the Theatre® loudspeaker systems introduced|